If you’re snowed in this weekend, consider a night cuddled up with your Valentine in front of a great romantic comedy. Here’s a list of five freebies with links.
1. It Happened One Night (1934). Internet Movie Database (IMDb) Rating: 8.3/10. Winner of five Academy Awards; stars Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. Directed by Frank Capra. Newspaperman and heiress meet on bus. Great Comedy. http://www.bigfiveglories.com/classic-movies/it-happened-one-night/
2. His Girl Friday (1940). IMBd Rating: 8.1/10. Stars Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell. Directed by Howard Hawks. Newspapermen abound in another comedic love story (this one’s much more acerbic). http://www.bigfiveglories.com/classic-movies/his-girl-friday/
3. Meet John Doe (1941). IMBd Rating: 7.8/10. Stars Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck. Directed by Frank Capra. There must be something funny about journalists. This time a newspaperwoman needs someone to jump off a tall building for her. Cooper fits the bill? http://www.bigfiveglories.com/classic-movies/meet-john-doe/
4. Charade (1963). IMBd Rating: 8.1/10. Stars Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Directed by Stanley Donen. Much like a Hitchcock movie. Mostly comedy; some suspense but not enough to take too seriously. No newspaper people appear anywhere! http://www.openculture.com/2012/09/charade.html
5. Multiplicity (1996). IMBd Rating: 5.9/10. Stars Michael Keaton and Andie MacDowell. Directed by Harold Ramis. If there’s not enough time in the day, have yourself cloned. Limited commercial interruptions. http://www.crackle.com/c/multiplicity